Tiffin Community YMCA

History

Mrs. Della Shawhan Laird did devise and bequest the property, building, and equipment for a YMCA in Tiffin, Ohio and the Association was voluntarily organized by the local citizens in April 1923. The Tiffin YMCA’s observes March 8th, Mrs. Della Shawhan Laird’s birthday as a day of recognition.

On April 9, 1923 the Association applied for Certificate of Incorporation under the laws of the State of Ohio and on April 17, 1923, the Secretary of State issued and recorded a Certificate of Incorporation.

In the late 70’s, a joint effort between the Community Pool Inc. who owned and operated the present pool and the Tiffin YMCA would be undertaken to make the Community Pool site a complete recreational complex. Under this agreement, the new facility would be operated by the Tiffin YMCA and called the Tiffin Community YMCA Recreation Center. The downtown YMCA building was sold to the Industrial Savings and Loan in the early 1980’s.

In 1980, The Fourth Grade Swim Program was established. This is an 8 week program that teaches water safety to all 4th grade students in Tiffin City Schools.

In 1999, the Basketball Gym was built.

In 2005, the Wellness Center was remodeled. This included the remodel of the Childwatch room and the removal of the Racquet Ball Courts.

Close